Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Treasure Island Flea (Market)


A brand new flea market opened over the weekend on Treasure Island. Despite living in the Bay Area for several years, I'd never actually been to Treasure Island so I thought this would be a great reason to check it out. Treasure Island Flea is on the Avenue of the Palms, right on the western edge of Treasure Island where you can see all of downtown San Francisco and both bridges. Despite the chilly breeze causing some problems for vendors, it was a beautiful setting for a flea market.

The flea market was relatively small but I imagine that more vendors will join in when people get a better feel of it. There were a few jewelry booths, some vintage lettering and botanical prints, and some interesting collections of antique furniture. I was looking to get a hodge podge of antique dishes but there unfortunately wasn't anything like that. It was nice that every vendor booth was completely unique and carried different stuff from the others, but overall there was a lack of the little knick-knack and treasure bins that I'd expect to rummage through at a flea market. Another downside was that it cost $3 just to get in which, to me, takes away a little from the trifting adventure that a flea market is supposed to be.

Snacking from the food booths and the amazing views of the city made the trip out to Treasure Island still worthwhile for me. The venue has such amazing potential (it's literally just a few yards away from the water) that I really do hope Treasure Island Flea will grow into a cool place to go antiquing. The flea market will take place on the last weekend of every month hereafter, but I think I'll wait a few months before returning to see if more vendors get added to the lineup.

| Photo Credit: Me. |

No comments:

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...