Friday, April 8, 2011

Restaurant Review: Ironside

Ironside had been on my to-go list for awhile. Their website describes their dinner menu as inspired by American comfort food and I love to be comforted by food. I can certainly see that this is an influence, but the menu goes beyond the American classics with some more exotic touches and non-traditional approaches. They also have a $16 brunch buffet that sounds amazing—I've already made reservations to go back and try it out on Saturday.

Service: I found the staff to be really nice and incredibly detail-oriented. The busguy apologized after spilling one tiny drop of water on our table and doubled back to wipe it up. The waitress asked us if our wobbly table was bothering us before I even noticed it was wobbly, and wedged something underneath to fix it. And everyone smiled.

Food: I got the pressed veggie cubano which came with very thinly-sliced plantain chips, which I thought were a unique touch. I have had many a veggie sandwich but the vegetables inside this one were refreshingly unexpected; in addition to roasted bell peppers and the like, I also saw soft slices of purple turnips and bold, dark leafy greens. The sandwich was pressed in a way that slightly charred the outer surface of the bread, which imparted a very satisfying smokiness to it, too. Very yum. I also tried some of Nick's roasted mushroom pizza. The crust was soft and light and flavorful on its own and the mix of toppings was spread on in a very generous layer. I don't think this is the traditional Neapolitan-style pizza that's touted all over the city but that certainly should not matter because the pizza at Ironside was excellent.

Ambiance: Covers of classics from the '60s and '70s played subtly in the background. The interior was simple with brick walls and one giant vintage sign. There were iron and wood touches on the staircase and the railings on the upper level and my meal was served on an iron skillet atop a wooden platter. I felt that everything from the music to the building to the food seemed to belong together.

Rating: Strongly recommended.

Ironside is located at 680 2nd Street, San Francisco, California 94107.

| Photo Credit: Me. |

No comments:

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...