Monday, February 21, 2011

Tissue Paper Pom-Poms for Gift Packaging

I adapted these instructions to make a tissue paper pom-pom for my friend Caitie's bridal shower gift. The first one I made was accidentally way too big to fit on the box I was using, but I think it would be cute on most other medium to large gift box shapes. I ended up using the littler pom-pom for the box shown below. Making pom-poms is a great way to re-use the tissue paper that stores wrap your clothing purchases in.

The Martha Stewart site only has instructions proportioned to giant pom-poms that are meant to be hung from the ceiling, so here's what I did to make the darker blue pom-pom.
  1. Cut a sheet of tissue paper into 8 equal pieces.
  2. Stack the pieces and turn the stack to the landscape orientation.
  3. Make 1/2-inch accordion folds, making sure to crease firmly.
  4. Fold a 4-inch piece of thin beading wire in half.
  5. Slip the wire over the center of the folded tissue paper; twist together.
  6. Cut each end of the tissue paper bundle into a point.
  7. Peel up and fan open each tissue paper layer, one at a time.
  8. Arrange the layers to the desired shape and trim the wire as necessary.
For the smaller pom-pom, I cut a 4-inch by 20-inch strip off of one end of a sheet; I then cut this into 6 equal pieces.

| Photo Credit: Me. |

No comments:

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...