Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Ice Cream that is so San Francisco at Mr. and Mrs. Miscellaneous

I think Mr. and Mrs. Miscellaneous is the quintessential San Fracisco ice cream shop because they really seem to cater to all the SF stereotypes in me. In addition to using organic, seasonal, and local ingredients in all their house-made goods, everything is served with biodegradable containers/spoons so there is not even a trash can in the shop—just a compost bin. The owners are the ones manning the store front and they are super nice, so there's definitely a local small business vibe. Despite being an ice cream and sweets shop, the interior is simple—white walls, dark wood furniture, and fresh flowers and branches adding the accent colors. And it's located in the always-sunny Dogpatch, where it's never too cold for ice cream.

What I think is so awesome about them is that they make every single thing they offer from scratch in house, including the sundae toppings and all the confections. I am usually not much of a cone person because I don't like eating with my hands, but after seeing them take the wafer out of the little waffle press and roll it into a cone before my very eyes, I had to try it. Their list of flavors changes from day to day and on Saturday, I decided to go with the orange chip, delighted that instead of being chocolate ice cream base with orange flavor, theirs was a creamy classic ice cream base with dark chocolate shavings and real bits of orange zest. For someone like me who likes desserts that are simple, not too sweet, and with real ingredients, this was perfect. I also tasted a bit of Nick's caramel w/ sea salt (which tasted more like a salted crème brûlée to me) and cookies and cream (yum!). They don't have a website yet, but they often post photos of their menu on their Facebook page to give a sense of what flavors they have to offer.

Since it's just over in the next neighborhood, Mr. and Mrs. Miscellaneous is going to be my new place to take visitors who come over on weekends.

| Photo Credit: Me. |

No comments:

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...